Mar 28, 2024, 02:28 pm

News:

All rights reserved by Nintendo, we do not own or claim rights to Pokemon, or any copyrights based on it.

ZanZero suggestion 5: Change Gyms to Automated, use Elites for PVP

Started by 1cec0ld, Mar 06, 2020, 01:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Approve of the change?

Yes
No
I'll comment Below.

1cec0ld

Quote from: ZanZeroBut if that wasn't a big enough change, I'm going to suggest we do away with the old Gym system. Put your pitchforks away guys, I promise this makes sense. Back in the day I used to run Celadon Gym. Granted I didn't run it for very long, but I ran it none-the-less. So I fully understand the appeal of being a gym leader. The reality is that there are 32 gyms between the Japan regions, with 10 in Unova and another 8 in Kalos. So unless we find 50 players who are willing to be on and taking on challenges regularly, those gyms will remain empty. And that's not even including the elites or champions. I know at the moment they link back to the existing Kanto gyms, but I don't think you could convince me that 8 player run gyms is better than 32+ automated ones that could be challenged at any time. I think that instead of having all of those empty gyms we should automate them with intuitive and challenging puzzles, parkour, riddles, traps and combat. Top it off with a big battle against a custom MythicMob using the same MagicSpells as the players and you've got an interesting gym leader as well. They could even give you a one-time TM when you defeat them! With this, the fly challenge and the inclusion of BlockQuest items, players would be incentivised to explore the world to its fullest by going to each city, challenging each gym, and scouring for items in the caves/dungeons. And all of that could be done without having to wait for any other players to be online. The player-run PvP side of things could then be focused on the Elites and Champions, of which there are still technically 30 spots to fill, but who says we need to stick to the old progression for those either? I propose that a player who gets their first 8 badges is promoted to Ace Trainer and given access to challenging the E4 or joining into League organized tourneys. If they beat the E4/Champion they are then promoted to Champion. If they are ever defeated and there are no open seats for Champions left for them to take (1 per region), then they are demoted to Elite. The only other way to become Elite is if they win in a League tournament. I don't personally think there needs to be a limit on how many Elite players we could have on the server, as that would up the odds that there will be 4 online at a time to be challenged. As an extended challenge, anyone who has been Champion, unlocked the full fly chart and gotten every badge could receive the Master rank! This could serve as a sort of permanent Champion rank, without the chance of being demoted. Something that could be a feasible while still incredibly challenging goal using automated gyms. I'm more than open to talking other potential progression systems, but I think this could provide an engaging experience that isn't TOO far off from what we have now. Luckily 1ce agrees with me on this one, to my surprise, as he thinks that keeping Gym Leaders online and active has become an issue.
MythicMobs: (https://www.spigotmc.org/resources/%E2%9A%94-mythicmobs-free-version-%E2%96%BAthe-1-custom-mob-creator%E2%97%84.5702/)
BlockQuest: (https://www.spigotmc.org/resources/blockquest-animations-mysql-support-and-particles-free-open-source.32729/)
MagicSpells: (https://discord.gg/aZaxDUJ)

r1579

Automated gyms would definitely allow people to move at their own pace without having to worry about other's life schedules conflicting with their own. It would also be fun to see mobs mimic the type of that gym (like a buffed up Wither Skeleton with Dark type moves for.. the Dark gym... rip gen 8 ).

Getting a Tm for beating the 1st gym of that type would be ok, but not for every gym. (So beating Brock, Roxanne, or Roark would give the same TM)

E4 Challenges could still function as they were with each region having it's own Elite Four and Champion. We do something like picking a day for each Region's Elites and Champion to be online to accept challenges, but that causes it's own bucket of problems.
"There is a difference between like and trust. Just because I tolerate you nearby doesn't mean your friend. It just means I don't mind your company."

- Legendary Pokemon Slayer
- Master of Axes
- Server Beta Tester

AccidentalArson (AA)

i think this is a much better idea so far, my only question would be regarding

Quote from: 1cec0ld on Mar 06, 2020, 01:20 pmAs an extended challenge, anyone who has been Champion, unlocked the full fly chart and gotten every badge could receive the Master rank! This could serve as a sort of permanent Champion rank, without the chance of being demoted

would there be some sort of incentive to get the master rank besides clout? i feel like something that seems so challenging to achieve should reward something too

Zanzero

Quote from: AccidentalArson (AA) on Mar 06, 2020, 10:39 pmi think this is a much better idea so far, my only question would be regarding

would there be some sort of incentive to get the master rank besides clout? i feel like something that seems so challenging to achieve should reward something too

In the part you quoted I mentioned it could serve as a permanent Champion rank, meaning you don't have to constantly fight to keep your spot at the top.

r1579

I don't really agree with the idea of permanent titled ranks like that. cosmetic ranks that are just for show or maybe grant some perks would be fine. To just own a champion rank with no risk of being demoted seems kinda bull. It really should stay as something worth defending and being proud of, otherwise it loses it's value real quick.
"There is a difference between like and trust. Just because I tolerate you nearby doesn't mean your friend. It just means I don't mind your company."

- Legendary Pokemon Slayer
- Master of Axes
- Server Beta Tester

Zanzero

Quote from: r1579 on Mar 07, 2020, 05:42 amI don't really agree with the idea of permanent titled ranks like that. cosmetic ranks that are just for show or maybe grant some perks would be fine. To just own a champion rank with no risk of being demoted seems kinda bull. It really should stay as something worth defending and being proud of, otherwise it loses it's value real quick.

Eh, that's fair. Maybe it's just a cosmetic for having beaten every gym and the E4 then?

tenebrae

Quote from: Zanzero on Mar 08, 2020, 04:57 pmEh, that's fair. Maybe it's just a cosmetic for having beaten every gym and the E4 then?

We could certainly give a coloured name tag or unique particles for players who hold the title, both past and present.

Automated gyms are a good idea, and back when we were going to have the original FRLG Kanto, were going to be there.

Zanzero

That's actually a really cool idea! I think making it a cosmetic reward to strive for would be fun for a lot of players.

Dj

This should be done, and the gymleader tag should be gotten rid of. Keep the elite tags and also possibly add a kit to the rank. Each challenge of the E4 takes you going through all 8 badges of a region, and you can only hold 1 elite/champion spot per region, also, non canon idea, once you beat a champion of a region, you get a trophy of honor or something, then once you have that from all regions, you go down into ultra hall of fame or something. To replace the gymleader stats/commands we could put the rewards for continued play into ranks based on online time, ingame economy buy ups, vote token buy ups, etc. Plenty of servers are utilizing ranks and in game bonuses you can buy from vote coins. Make each vote give more coins, but raise the cost of vote rewards for the good stuff and offer smaller stuff like in game resources/cash etc with vote coins