Pokemon Gray - Chpt 32 - Double Closure

Started by synderfin, Apr 13, 2021, 09:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

synderfin

Apr 13, 2021, 09:08 pm Last Edit: Apr 24, 2021, 05:27 am by synderfin
As the sun rose on a peaceful day in Cerulean City, our heroes decided to continue their journey to become Pokemon Masters.

"So, who's left for me to smack?" Gray questioned, "I mean, now that I'm a 'hero of Kanto' and all, as Ta put it, I'm sure the final gym leader will be a pushover."

"I'm not sure," Tene responded, "There were only seven leaders in the battle. I'm not sure if you recall, since you typically can't remember past a week, but there was that gym in Viridian City that was closed down when we first met."

"Yeah nah, that's completely gone."

The Trio, unsure of where they should be going, decided to head back south to Viridian City, after giving their final farewells to the remaining trainers in Cerulean. They had to journey by foot with Gray complaining the whole way about why Tene wouldn't let them ride her 'big robot rocket' but she refused; this was a new journey and the past could only help when it was truly needed.
Eventually, they made it back to Viridian and the memories came pouring back in, well, not for Gray anyway as this was more than a week ago. Yob sang the Viridian City song as they entered the white streets of the settlement. After resting from their journey at the PokeCentre for a while, they investigated the gym, which still appeared to be shut, with a series of padlocks.

"My attunement to nature is speaking to me," Yob mused, "The dust on this door has been disturbed. I'm sorry poor dust. Someone has opened this door recently despite the appearance of closure."

"Well, there's only one thing for it," Gray responded before summoning his Hitmonchan and ordering it to punch the door down.

The others looked around to make sure they weren't caught for this blatant act of vandalism and breaking-and-entering. Fortunately, the police still had their concerns north and Gray's companions agreed to accompany him in to investigate.
It was dark inside the gym and there was no Slime to greet them. As they moved forward into the course, the automatic lights turned on and ahead of them were a series to spin puzzles like they had seen in the Team Rocket hideouts.

"Oh, not again..." Tene complained as Gray leapt forward and was flung uncontrollably in a random direction.

Once Gray reached the end of a series of pads and recovered from his dizziness, he was face-to-face with a confused Team Rocket grunt who scrambled to battle him, but their team was wiped out by Gray's Tauros. As the grunt ran off on a spin-pad, Gray pondered the encounter. He felt he should tell his companions but struggled to get back to them on the confusing pads. After a large effort, he finally managed to reach them at the end of the course and informed them of his encounter.

"We've had the same," Tene responded.

"This place is filled with these naughty numskulls," Yob added, "they seem to have taken refuge in this glum dwelling after the battle. The balance of good and evil is amiss."

"I don't know," Gray interjected, "Crime and gym battling go hand-in-hand. If I bothered to have an excess of gym badges, I'd totally sell them to weaker trainers on the black market for profit. A win-win."

"We should be wary going forward," cautioned Tene, "We may find ourselves battling the remainder of Team Rocket instead of a gym leader."

However, what our heroes didn't realise was that both of those things could be correct. As they entered into the battle arena, they found a bunch of beaten grunts sculking on the sides and ahead of them, on the podium, was none other than Windows, draped in a stylish black robe.

"Ah, my friends. Come to bring me in have you? Do you not see I'm in mourning garb? My super snazzalicious plan to rule Kanto has come crashing down and what am I left with? This run-down gym ...the last of my investments."

"So, you're the gym leader of Viridian City?!" Gray questioned, accompanied by the shock of his companions.

"Yes, yes. But I'm afraid my efforts to rule the world and all have left me absent of my role here as leader," Window's spoke before putting both his arms out, "Cuff me! Take me in once and for all so I may live in miserable mono-tone prison clothes for eternity."

"Oh, I don't think so," Gray responded to Window's surprise, "If you really are the gym leader of this run-down shit-shack, then I wish to battle you for my final badge. If you win, we'll let you go."

Before Yob or Tene could interrupt, Windows stood up from his sulk and agreed to the terms. Tene was sort of impressed by Gray's cunning deal-making but was concerned he wouldn't be able to defeat the leader of Team Rocket alone. Regardless, the battle was underway.
First Window's sent out Rhyhorn, which entered a charge against Gray's Tauros. The two Pokemon rammed into each other, head-on. The collision launched both of them back, a bit dazed, but they continued the fight. Eventually, Rhyhorn was able to wedge its horn into Tauros' side, causing it to yelp with pain before collapsing on the ground, unable to fight further. Gray was worried after losing his first engagement but recollected himself and sent out Dugtrio. The mole Pokemon was quickly able to dispose of Rhyhorn with a super-effective Magnitude 8, restoring Gray's spirits. However, Windows sent out his own Dugtrio and the two burrowed underground at the same time. All was silent on the battlefield as the two Pokemon fought below the arena before, eventually, Window's Dugtrio surfaced victorious.
Gray's Hitmonchan was also unsuccessful. It tried to punch its opponent but Dugtrio was too fast and danced around the confused fighter, popping out of the ground behind it to attack before it was knocked out. Gray's Ponyta has more success, despite the type disadvantage, as it launched a Flamethrower into Dugtrio's tunnel, cooking it in the ground below. However, Window's responded with a Nidoqueen that was able to KO Ponya with a single Earthquake.
Gray was down to two Pokemon and sent out his Butterfree, which was successfully able to get a Sleep Powder on the Nidoqueen before pelting it with Silver Wind. As it awoke, it hit Butterfree with a harsh Poison Sting but Butterfree was able to repeat the process until its' opponent fainted. Window's Nidoking was next and Buttterfree tried the same strategy but missed the Sleep Powder and was hit with another Poison Sting, causing it to fall out of the sky, unconscious.
Gray was crestfallen. He knew Windows had at least two more Pokemon, while he only had one. He sent out his final team member, his partner Blastoise.

Before Blastoise could react, it was hit with an Earthquake from Nidoking, sending it off balance and crashing onto the ground.

Tene called from the side, "Gray! Use your mega stone!"

"Oh yeah, I completely forgot I was given that."

"That was literally yesterday..."

Gray connected to the soul of his partner and it was able to Mega Evolve. Windows was shocked as his Nidoking was launched into the back wall with a single Hydro Pump. As it recovered, it tried to use another Earthquake but was hit with a heavy Rapid Spin from the now bulkier Blastoise, knocking it out. Windows responded with his final Pokemon; Rhyhorn.

Gray recognised the Pokemon from the battle at SilphCo. He had beaten it then with his regular Blastoise and was ready to do it again. However, as he was fantasising his victory speech in his head, Blastoise got hit with a Mega Horn in the chest, sending it back onto its shell. Gray ordered it to get up and use Hydro Canon. It launched the blast of water but missed and was too fatigued to move. Rhyhorn slammed into it again, sending it flying into the side wall. A bunch of grunts ran to avoid getting hit. Rhyhorn moved to charge again but this time Blastoise was ready and caught it with a Hydro Pump as it advanced. Rhyhorn struggled to stay on its feet as it was soaked with water. Blastoise then grabbed Rhyhorn by its shoulders and launched it across the battlefield. Before it could recover, Blastoise used another Hydro Canon, this time landing and leaving a watery crater in the middle of the battlefield and Rhyhorn unconscious at the centre.
Mega Blastoise proved its extreme power, defeating the Team Rocket boss for the final time.

Windows awarded Gray the Earth Badge before monologing, "You know, dear friends, this battle has reminded me of the beauty of being a Pokemon trainer once again."

"Really?" Gray asked.

"No, not really. But it was a good timewaster while I waited for Mr. Fluffypoo's pedicure to finish. Anyway, I best be off. Don't want to leave my darling waiting at the parlour, he'll get grumpy with me. Team Rocket may be done-for, but I have other commitments. It's been snazzy, it's been jazzy. But I best be off. Farewell, my dearest of opponents."

Before Gray could grab him, he threw a smoke bomb on the ground.

"Ah ha! And like that I disappear in a puff of smoke! Fools! Tehehe!"

The smoke cleared too soon, and Gray could see Windows tip-toeing to the back door with the grunts. He sighed and order Blastoise to use Hydro Pump. However, Gray underestimated Blastoise's power and as the attack hit, it launched Windows and his companions up through the roof and into the sky.

"Looks like Team Rocket's blasting off again!" *ping*

"Oops. Ahh, we'll get him next time."

Tene interjected, "What about our badges..."

As a fun easter egg, for every Kanto gym I decided to slide in at least one reference to something annoying players used to do in gym challenges. This one was exploiting the system by selling badges to noobs for profit ...which people actually did. See if you can catch all the references in the previous chapters. ;)
Formerly known as sharkfin1997/cynderfin
Only user who knows what 'ltns' means :/
Owner of SharkCo.
Sheriff of the Pewter Police
Donator
All regions builder
Fuchsia City Gym Leader
Official MC forum watcher
Favourite server quotes:
Click to see: ShowHide

Showdown Playlist: https://docs.google.com/document/d/11VhccY0GsKyHRUFT8LyRGKMmSIidbOrzvkCa_TpgBUo

tenebrae

Now I have to go back and re-read to catch all those gym references :|

synderfin

Quote from: tenebrae on Apr 23, 2021, 11:41 pmNow I have to go back and re-read to catch all those gym references :|
Hehe. This is how the scam works! If only I monetised these...
Formerly known as sharkfin1997/cynderfin
Only user who knows what 'ltns' means :/
Owner of SharkCo.
Sheriff of the Pewter Police
Donator
All regions builder
Fuchsia City Gym Leader
Official MC forum watcher
Favourite server quotes:
Click to see: ShowHide

Showdown Playlist: https://docs.google.com/document/d/11VhccY0GsKyHRUFT8LyRGKMmSIidbOrzvkCa_TpgBUo